This is the website of Luis Pérez-González, Professor of Translation Studies and co-director of the Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies, University of Manchester (UK).
Here you will find information about my current research, publications, and doctoral supervision activities. This website also serves as an online archive of information about resources, publications, events and announcements on research areas that I am particularly interested in: audiovisual translation, translation studies, citizen media, and multimodality.
PhD in Applied (Forensic) Linguistics, Universitat de València, Spain | Premio Extraordinario de Doctorado en Humanidades, conferred by Universitat de València, Spain.
MPhil in English (Discourse Analysis), University of Birmingham, UK.
MA Special Applications of Linguistics, University of Birmingham, UK.
Licenciatura en Filología Anglogermánica, Universitat de València, Spain | Premio Extraordinario de Licenciatura, conferred by Universitat de València, Spain | 3⁰ Premio Nacional de Terminación de Estudios Universitarios en Filología Inglesa, conferred by Spanish Ministry of Education.
I joined the Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies at the University of Manchester in 2004. Before that, I was a Lecturer in Applied Translation Studies at Universidad Europea de Madrid (1996-2004), and a Lector in Spanish at the Department of Hispanic Studies, University of Sheffield (1994-1996).
Between 1995 and 2004, I worked as a freelance translator mainly in the fields of audiovisual and financial translation for different firms and international organisations — including the European Parliament, European Commission, World Trade Organization, Organization for the Harmonization of the Internal Market, and Inter-American Investment Corporation.
Memberships of Professional Bodies and Advisory Boards
- Member of the Peer Review College of the Arts and Humanities Research Council (Academic and International Colleges), and the International Peer Review College of the Irish Research Council.
- Reviewer for South Africa’s National Research Foundation, Canada’s Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, and Hong Kong’s Research Grants Council.
- Member of the National Database of Academic Evaluators for Greek Universities.
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Baker Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies at Shanghai International Studies University.
- Member of AVTD (Audiovisual Translation and Dissemination Committee established by State Administration of Radio, Film and Television and China Alliance of Radio, Film and Television)
- Member of CCTSS (Chinese Culture Translation and Studies Support Network, China’s Ministry of Culture)
- Member of the Steering Board of ARTIS – Advancing Research in Translation and Intercultural Studies.
- Member of Advisory Board, The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (ITT).
- Member of the Editorial Board of The Translator.
- Member of the Scientific Board of The Journal of Audiovisual Translation.
- Member of International Advisory Board, InTRAlinea Online Translation Journal.
- Editor The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (ITT) (2011-2014).
- Member of Executive Council of International Organisation for Translation and Intercultural Studies (IATIS): Webmaster IATIS site (2005-2011) | Treasurer (2011-2015).
- External Examiner MA Professional Translation (Newcastle University), MA in Screen Translation Studies (University of Leeds) and MA in Translation Studies (University of Sheffield).
Referee for Journals: Across Languages and Cultures | Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies | Critical Studies on Terrorism | Discourse, Context and Media | Innovation in Language Teaching and Learning | International Journal of Cultural Studies | InTRAlinea | Journal for Language Teaching | Journal of Specialised Translation (JoSTrans) | Language Sciences | Monografías de Traducción e Interpretación (MonTI) | Perspectives: Studies in Translatology | Social Media and Society | Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies | The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (ITT) | The Translator | Transformative Work Cultures | Translation and Interpreting Journal.