Call for Papers | Chinese Popular Culture in Translation and Transmission
22 – 23 July 2021, University of Leicester (UK)
- Hongwei Bao (University of Nottingham)
- Paul Bowman (Cardiff University)
- Natascha Bruce (Translator)
- Nicky Harman （Translator）
- Jack Hargreaves (Translator) Jiang Jiehong (Birmingham City University)
- Emily Jones (Translator)Kangqin Li (Literary Agent)
Popular culture is elusive to define, yet through a multitude of forms and expressions, its
influences across cultural boundaries are often effective, efficient and far-reaching. The
conference will bring together academics, researchers and practitioners to exchange views
and ideas about Chinese popular culture in the context of global circulation. It aims to
outline scenes and trajectories of Chinese popular culture in translation and transmission
from the 1990s, focusing on paradigms, trends, shifts and issues in the processes of
production, dissemination and consumption. The conference also seeks to understand
contemporary China in the global cultural flow, exchange and mediation, particularly
through digital technologies, transnational markets and new media industries.
We welcome proposals for 15-minute presentations, as well as submissions of panels of
three speakers and a Chair, from scholars and practitioners.
Possible topics and panels may include but are not limited to:
- Cross-cultural production, circulation and consumption of Chinese popular culture, such as internet literature, TV drama series, films, entertainment shows, theatre and computer games;
- Approaches and practices in transmitting Chinese popular culture outside China;
- Global representations and reproductions of Chinese popular culture;
- Conceptualisations and methodologies relevant to the three topics above.
Please send your abstract of 300 words and a short biography to
Submission of Abstracts: 15 January 2021
Acceptance of Abstracts: 1 February 2021
East Asian Journal of Popular Culture will publish a special issue on the conference theme in
Depending on the quality of papers, we also plan a proposal for an edited
volume with one of the leading academic publishers.